Abortive treatments for migraine are those taken during a migraine, or at its onset, to stop the migraine from continuing. There are many different kinds of abortive treatments, from traditional over-the-counter (OTC) painkillers to triptans.
Some abortive treatments must specifically be taken at the onset of a migraine, and will be ineffective if the migraineur waits too long to take them.
OTC Painkillers Recommended for Migraine
* Acetaminophen (Tylenol) * Aspirin (Bayer, Bufferin, Ecotrin) * Aspirin, Acetaminophen, and Caffeine (Goody's, Excedrin Migraine) * Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, Nuprin)[("Drugs for Migraine and Headache Pain.")] * Naproxen (Naprosyn, Anaprox, Anaprox DS)
Prescription Painkillers Used for Migraine
* Butalbital, Acetaminophen, and Caffeine (Fioricet) * Butalbital and Acetaminophen (Phrenilin) * Butalbital, Aspirin, and Caffeine (Fiorinal) * Indomethacin (Indocin)  * Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen (Vicodin, Vicodin ES) * Oxycodone and Acetaminophen (Percocet, Tylox) * Oxycodone and Aspirin (Percodan)
For more information regarding triptans generally, click here.
* Almotriptan (Axert) * Eletriptan (Relpax) * Frovatriptan (Frova) * Naratriptan (Amerge) * Rizatriptan (Maxalt) * Sumatriptan (Imitrex) * Zolmitriptan (Zomig)
* Magnesium sulfate * Hyperbaric oxygen * Caffeine * Stimulation of the vagus nerve * Temperature Therapy * CGRP Blockers * Transcranial magnetic stimulation
- "Drugs for Migraine and Headache Pain." WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/pain-relief-headaches August 22, 2013
- Jim Morelli, MS, RPh."Prescription Migraine Medications." RxList.com. http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=104593. August 22, 2013
- Jerry W. Swanson, MD. "Mayo Clinic on Headache." Mayo Foundation, 2004: p. 63
- "Treatments and Drugs." MayoClinic.Com http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-headache/DS00120/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs